Jewellery Workshop Terms and Conditions (education, studio workshops and Zoom classes)
Important Policies You Need To Know
BOOKINGS AND PAYMENTS
1. All classes are strictly hosted in English. Madame Mak does not offer translation services for in-person or Zoom online classes.
2. All studio-based course fees do not include the fees for manufacturing (this comprises the casting fee and the metal costs).These fees are charged separately to the student, in addition to the course fee. All casting/metal fees are payable to Madame Mak on request, in advance of your final metal finishing/polishing class. Your final amount will be emailed to you with the relevant banking details, or sent to you via SMS text message.
3. All in-studio classes are paid for in advance of class through the website (for available classes), or on request via invoice (for bespoke classes). A 30% deposit is required to initially secure your in-studio booking. Balance payments for in-studio classes are due two weeks before the class start date, and are payable in full. Students attending an in-person class will be sent relevant information and a payment link to complete their payment via email two weeks in advance of class. Madame Mak will also send a text to advise you that an email has been sent (Gmail almost always sends me to your junk box - so sad!). The class balance can not be split across multiple payments.
4. All Zoom online live 1:1 wax carving courses are paid for in advance of class through the website. Payment is required upfront in full at the checkout. Class payments can not be split/part-paid in advance of class. Once a date and time have been agreed on by both parties, a Zoom link and password will be sent to your nominated email address (which you supply at checkout during the purchasing process). Please check your email boxes for further details.
5. Madame Mak has the right to contact you via multiple methods (email, phone, instagram) to complete your bookings and finalise class payments. Madame Mak adheres to the privacy policies as required and governed by local and international law. Your personal information will not be shared with others or any third parties.
6. Students who have not paid their full balance for an in-studio class two weeks in advance of the class start date will not be permitted to attend class until the balance is paid in full. Students are kindly asked to settle their balance at their earliest convenience on receipt of their final payment email/SMS text message. Students are not entitled to a refund of their 30% deposit if they don't wish to complete their balance payment or proceed with attending the class.
7. Classes are strictly not refundable after the classes have been attended.
8. All in-studio classes are booked in the first instance through the relevant website class listing, and your spot is secured via a nominated 30% deposit amount (the amount is specified in the website listing and varies for each class). After selecting the date from the dropdown menu, students may proceed to the checkout and complete their payment through PayPal or Stripe. Students also have the option to pay upfront in full.
9. When making a booking for a child under 18, please select "1:1, I'm under 18". Minors attending classes must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for the full duration of the course/courses. Madame Mak has a valid Working With Children Check (exp: 2027), which the parent/guardian will be presented with on arrival to verify validity on the day prior to class commencement. The class for your child will strictly be run in a 1:1 format.
10. All zoom live online classes are purchased through the relevant website listing and are payable in full at the time of checkout. Payment can be made through PayPal or Stripe. After payment is made, an instantly downloadable PDF will be sent to your email. This link is valid for 30 days and contains an itemised list of tools and major suppliers, locally and internationally in major cities. The tools listed are the tools specifically required to actively participate in the class. A booking can be made by emailing email@example.com once students have sourced all necessary tools. Bookings can be changed as required (life happens!), and changing your booking date will not incur any additional charges! Please give a minimum of two week's notice to change your booking (except for unexpected emergencies - this will be assessed on an individual case-by-case circumstantial basis).
11. All "bespoke" or "specifically tailored" classes are for in-person classes only, and are either arranged and quoted privately, or purchased in time blocks (minimum 2 hour booking). Students who attend my studio to work on their design are required to book a 2 hour minimum class. Students are required to provide specific information on their skill level, and a detailed description of what they're hoping to achieve with images of their design/photos etc - prior to booking a private session. Madame Mak strictly only uses your information to assess suitability and to devise the best plan for creating and tailoring your bespoke class, where practical. Under no circumstance does Madame Mak replicate, reuse, sell or share your design briefs, notes or supplied information. All electronic files and design briefs are deleted once the class has been completed. Bespoke 1:1 wax carving tuition is not currently being offered via live 1:1 Zoom (it has proven difficult and challenging). Any in-studio classes may need to be divided across multiple sessions (for the wax carving). Please contact Madame Mak directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate the process. The bespoke/private tuition sessions are structured according to the students needs. Students are required to bring their own materials in (waxes, gemstones and any of their favourite tools), however a fully equipped jewellers bench is provided for the student to work on. Students are invoiced and payments are made in full in advance of class by direct bank transfer for local (Australian) students, or alternatively local students may purchase blocks of time (2 hour minimum) direct from the website listing. Any international students outside of Australia who will be visiting the studio in Melbourne for these bespoke classes will be linked to a custom website listing (payment is also required in full prior to attending class). This bespoke service is only available for in-studio classes (classes running at my physical studio in Melbourne 3105, VIC)! Bespoke training is not currently available via 1:1 Zoom. Please don't be offended if Madame Mak is unable to assist you - occasionally the lost wax method is not the best method for achieving your design and you will be advised truthfully! (your request also has to fall within Madame Mak's current skill set - she doesn't know how to do everything!).
12. Students acknowledge and accept that there may be a decent lapse of time between the initial payment of their deposit (or full payment) and their actual date of class. Classes are strictly paid for in advance, or on request. For example, a Zoom class may be paid for in full before the student starts sourcing the tools, and the tools may take one month to arrive. If you are at all concerned about your funds being held by Madame Mak for long periods of time, please source your tools before booking your class - this way you can pay for the class much closer to your booking date. Madame Mak is unable to refund your payment due to any such delays between your payment and your tool arrivals or booking date. This is the general nature of business with service-based providers.
13. Madame Mak reserves the right to admit multiple students into one class where necessary, without your prior permission or consent. The zoom classes are 1:1 however on very rare occasions they may need to be condensed eg. if 3 students sign up to the same topic and all want to book within the same week! Students will not be refunded in part or in full in any such instance. In-studio classes are limited to 3 people at any time and Madame Mak reserves the right to admit multiple students to class without your prior consent, however if you have specifically paid for 1:1 bespoke tuition or a tailored class in my Melbourne studio you will be guaranteed a 1:1 experience.
14. Each Zoom course and in-person course has been assigned an estimated duration which is well paced and relaxed for the required skill level involved for the particular course. Occasionally, things can go wrong with wax carving - especially through zoom classes with beginners, and with more involved techniques. Occasionally Zoom classes run slightly overtime due to unforeseen problems and troubleshooting. Teaching online remotely poses some challenges, and as such Zoom students are not currently being charged for running slightly overtime, and Madame Mak attempts to guide students through the process of rectifying their issue on the spot to the best of her knowledge. It is important to note that the classes serve as practice, and trial and error is to be expected. Please do not expect meticulous perfection from yourself - skill building takes time! Madame Mak is always happy to advise you after class and assess your wax work if you decide to reattempt carving the same design from scratch after class, based on what you've already learnt in the class/es.
15. In-studio students are required to purchase extra studio time (at 1:1 private tuition rates) on the spot during class if they have exceeded their allocated class duration. In this instance, Madame Mak will forward a link via SMS text message with the appropriate block of time/add-on once the allocated timeframe for class has lapsed. This 1:1 private tuition rate is charged at $100 per hour block, and is charged at a one hour minimum which is non-refundable in the event of early student departure. It is important to note that the classes serve as practice, and trial and error is to be expected. Please do not expect meticulous perfection from yourself - skill building takes time! Madame Mak is always happy to advise you after class and assess your wax work if you decide to reattempt carving the same design from scratch after class, based on what you've already learnt in the class/es.
16. Madame Mak hosts a maximum of three students per class within the Melbourne studio. Madame Mak reserves the right to admit multiple students into one class, without your prior consent. Any classes for juniors (under 18 years old) are strictly 1:1 and require a parent or guardian to be in attendance at all times. If you have specifically paid for a 1:1 bespoke class or 1:1 private tuition, your class allocation is exclusively yours.
RESCHEDULING, CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
1. Rescheduling within two weeks of your in-studio or Zoom online class booking does not incur a rescheduling fee. Students are encouraged to reach out at their earliest convenience if they require a date change for their zoom class or their in-studio class. Madame Mak is flexible, however please note some days of the week are strictly unavailable due to fixed in-studio classes and other commitments. Madame Mak is equally responsible for contacting you if she needs to reschedule your class - usually reserved for emergency matters! Please reschedule your class booking within two weeks of your class date to avoid forfeiting your 30% deposit (for in-person classes) or forfeiting your full payment (for Zoom classes).
2. In the event a student requests an in-studio class cancellation within 4 weeks or less of the class start date, the student will forfeit their 30% deposit (30% of the class total) as indicated for the specific class listing. The student will be refunded any remaining amount that they have paid to date (excluding the 30% deposit). The student has the right to transfer their deposit booking to another class in future for themselves, or can transfer their class deposit/booking to somebody else instead. Students who have decided to transfer their booking to another person must immediately provide Madame Mak with the details of the new student. Madame Mak has the right to contact the assigned transferee to arrange the rest of their booking and payment, and the new assignee/student assumes full responsibility for completing their booking and maintaining their obligations under the policies, terms and conditions.
3. In the event of a student requesting a Zoom cancellation due to an unforeseen circumstance or emergency, the student has the right to be refunded if they won't be able to reschedule the class in the future (eg. hospitalisation, critical injury, severe illness). Students are encouraged to reschedule their class instead wherever possible, if they still hope to attend the class at some stage in the future. In the event of a student rescheduling their class, their full payment remains with Madame Mak and the class proceeds as usual on the newly agreed date irrespective of the time gap. This greatly reduces admin and handling!
4. In the event of a student no-show for zoom online or for in-studio classes, students are not eligible for a partial or full refund. Students will not be refunded for any missed classes or any unexplained non-attendance. Madame Mak will endeavour to reschedule your class with you and make alternative arrangements. Madame Mak will make three attempts to contact you to reschedule your class, and students will not be refunded in the case of complete absence or failure to contact Madame Mak back by return email/SMS text message.
5. If you have booked a Zoom or in-person class and Madame Mak has attempted to contact you three times without receiving a response or reply, you will not be eligible for a refund of any payment made to date for your relevant booking.
6. In the event of student illness, the student is required to reschedule the class. Students are not eligible for a refund in part or in full, in the event of suffering from a recoverable illness. Madame Mak encourages students to make a new booking at their earliest convenience after recovering from their illness.
7. In the event of Madame Mak cancelling your class due to an unforeseen circumstance, emergency or illness, you will have the right to request a full refund for your class. Alternatively you will be invited to reschedule your class for a newly agreed date and time, at the earliest convenience. This applies to in-person classes, and Zoom online classes.
8. Students are not entitled to partial refunds if they depart class early, or if class naturally finishes earlier than the "estimated" duration. Students are welcome to stay and tinker around until the class duration has lapsed! Students will not be refunded if they miss a class without having made prior arrangements with Madame Mak, and are not eligible for a refund if they don't attend the remainder of their classes. This applies to Zoom classes and in-person classes.
9. Students are not entitled to a partial refund if they have purchased an extra block of time for in-person classes running overtime eg. if a 1 hour block of overtime is purchased and the student departs 30 minute early, they will not be eligible for a partial refund for departing early.
10. Zoom students are not eligible for a refund if they discover they haven't got the appropriate tools during the class to continue or complete their work in the class. In most cases, some tools can be substituted if the student already has an elaborate setup, however students will not be refunded in any such instances. Shall this occur, Madame Mak will continue the demonstration on her end live, whilst you watch and ask questions or chat! A rebooking fee will be payable to Madame Mak if the student wishes to source the necessary tools to complete their carving online with Madame Mak at another time - this is charged at the discretion of Madame Mak depending on how much time it requires to complete your ring, or depending on which step of the process the student is up to for their particular class. Any new payments required will either be invoiced via PayPal, or a custom class listing will be arranged on the website for the student to purchase.
11. Zoom students are not entitled to a refund in the event of a poor internet connection. In this instance, class will be rescheduled and picked up from where it was paused.
12. Zoom students are not entitled to a refund in the event of a power outage at MMJ HQ or at their studio. In this instance, class will be rescheduled and picked up from where it was paused.
13. In-studio students are not entitled to a refund in the event of a power outage during class (eg. severe storms or natural disasters). In the event of power outage, the class will be rescheduled for another day if the power does not return within 30 minutes of the outage time. If there is natural daylight and power tools aren't required, students will be allowed to stay to complete their class if it is deemed safe to do so. Remaining on premises without power may involve relocating the necessary tools and equipment to a brighter area of the home in order for the class to be completed (it mightn't be on the jeweller's bench though!).
MATERIAL AND METAL PAYMENTS AND THIRD PARTY OUTSOURCING (CASTING)
1. All zoom classes entail wax work only and do not involve any raw casting demonstrations, clean-up, metalwork or stone setting. Please read the class listings and descriptions carefully and reach out with any questions before making your booking. It is the responsibility of the student to find an appropriate casting facility, and ensure they offer the service required eg. some casting facilities do not cast items with cast-not-set gemstones. A refund can not be issued for class if you are unaware of these details post-class.
2. All wax creations for in-studio classes are outsourced to a third party for professional casting. Your creations will be hand delivered to the casting facility by Madame Mak. They will also be paid for and collected by Madame Mak before your return to the studio (see number 3 below for information regarding casting and metal fees).
3. Madame Mak is responsible for clearing the casting fees and materials directly with the manufacturer in the first instance, for your work. Students are then required to reimburse Madame Mak for the absolute cost price of their materials (the materials and casting fees are not included in the course fees). Madame Mak will present the invoice to students for the cost price of their materials and casting fees, which is payable once the castings return to the studio (before the final class commences). Madame Mak does not profit off your manufacturing charges or materials - you will be charged the manufacturing price! Payment is to be made through direct bank transfer on request, before the final class commences.
4. For in-studio classes where students produce physical work, students are not entitled to a refund for their metals and materials used to manufacture and construct their ring. It is important to understand that things can go wrong with the casting process (it's usually quite rare!). In the event of a complete loss of your jewellery at manufacturing (eg. a casting blowout or explosion), students will have the option of attending a new class to repeat their wax carving and finish their ring. In this instance, students will not be charged for repeating the course, however they will be responsible for any material and casting fees incurred for having their new creation cast! Any damages to gemstones during the cast-not-set process or the stone setting process cannot be claimed as damages, or refunded. Students can not be refunded for damages to gemstones, and will not be able to attend a new class to repeat their design if their gemstone has cracked during setting or the cast-not-set procedure. Students may use their own gemstones at their own risk if the gemstones are deemed suitable and pre-approved by Madame Mak in advance of class.
5. In the event student work has been cast and paid for by Madame Mak and the student makes a complete disappearance without contact, Madame Mak has the right to destroy your items to reclaim her out-of-pocket costs. Unpaid items (castings) will be held on site for 30 days after the last class, and sent to casting to be scrapped if the student has not made contact or payment.
1. All zoom students are required to source their own tools for their online classes. Tools are not provided or included in the workshop price. Please be aware of the associated setup costs for a wax carving setup prior to booking your zoom class. Madame Mak is happy to discuss tool options with you during your sourcing journey! Each class may require different or additional tools - please check the relevant tool list under each class listing to ensure you'll have the correct tools at hand for your class!
2. All in-studio classes are conducted on fully equipped jewellers benches. Students will have access to a variety of hand tools and power tools to carve and finish their jewellery however, all tools and consumables remain the property of Madame Mak and are not to be removed from the studio. The course fee does not include the provision of any take-home tools, and Madame Mak does not sell tools from her shop.
3. Madame Mak does not offer tools for sale, however students will have access to a variety of student discounts with participating Australian suppliers. There's more information on that below!
SUPPLIER PARTICIPATION IN STUDENT DISCOUNT SCHEMES FOR MADAME MAK'S STUDENTS
1. Several local suppliers have kindly offered a discount on tools and equipment for all of my workshop students. You will be provided with this information at class, and my suppliers will require your proof of enrolment in my workshop. Proof is verified through uploading your payment confirmation/receipt to their website portals, and you are bound by their relevant Terms and Conditions - available directly on their websites. Madame Mak will also provide you with a letter of attendance to support your applications after the final class has been completed.
2. Each supplier has very specific terms, time frames and periods for discount access. Madame Mak kindly asks that you participate with honesty and integrity at all times with any associated third party, and respect their terms and conditions.
RESPONSIBILITY AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY
1. Madame Mak teaches through the experiences and lessons she has gained whilst being at her bench. Courses and workshops provided through zoom or in-studio are not formally recognised or accredited by any relevant jewellery associations or training organisations.
2. Madame Mak teaches to the best of her ability and only teaches what she is absolutely confident, capable and comfortable with. Truth love and honesty over here! Madame Mak will refer you to a more suitable jeweller or training organisation in the event your learning request does not fall within her skills and capability.
3. The knowledge Madame Mak shares with you will position you accordingly to achieve the best outcome for your work.
4. Madame Mak will not be responsible or liable for the outcome of your wax work or castings. All information provided in all classes (zoom and in-studio) is based on Madame Mak's best advice, and it is advice only. Students are encouraged to find a method that works best for them - everybody does things differently! Alternatively, students may enrol in an industry-recognised course to attain formal training and qualification. Madame Mak is backed by three intense years at her bench (a total of 5 years including silversmithing), and is very well placed to teach her current courses through her trials and tribulations!
STUDENT PERSONAL SAFETY (ZOOM ONLINE CLASSES)
1. Students are fully responsible for assessing the safety of their workspace and surroundings, and are fully responsible for taking adequate measures to protect their eyes, face, body and hair from any potential hazards at the bench during class. Students must have access to adequate safety equipment, and must wear safety glasses when operating power tools in class, as well as having long hair tied back in class when operating power tools.
2. Madame Mak will not be legally responsible or liable for any personal injuries that a student acquires during Madame Mak's provision of their zoom class. By signing up to a class, students are fully responsible for their own safety and health at their bench during classes.
3. All students are required to wear safety glasses and have long hair tied back during their zoom classes when the use of a micromotor or other power tools is involved. Students who refuse or fail to wear the provided safety equipment (including filtration masks when necessary) will be removed from class.
4. Any safety equipment that has been accidentally removed from the studio must be returned in-person or via post to MMJ HQ at the expense of the student (eg. safety glasses).
COPYRIGHT OF E-BOOKS AND LEARNING MATERIALS (FOR ZOOM AND IN-STUDIO STUDENTS)
1. All written and distributed learning material and instructions are copyrighted and belong to Madame Mak. Students and clients must not copy, circulate or distribute any learning materials which includes but isn't limited to e-books, PDF documents, images contained within or any body of text or written instructions and protocols to other parties.
STUDIO POLICIES (FOR IN-PERSON CLASSES)
1. There are several policies that students (and Madame Mak) must comply with when attending and working in the jewellery studio. The three important policies will be emailed to you in the form of PDF documents in advance of your class. It is important to read these documents and reach out with any questions you may have (Occupational Health and Safety, Medical and Emergency Services, Videography and Photography).
2. Students must advise Madame Mak of any allergies, intolerances, sensitivities or dietary restrictions or requests in advance of their in-studio class.
3. Your attendance at the studio implies that you have read the policies, and that you agree and abide to the studio policies contained therein.
AFTER-CLASS SUPPORT FOR ZOOM AND STUDIO STUDENTS
1. Madame Mak is committed to supporting you during and after your classes! You are welcome to contact Madame Mak shall you have any technical questions or require your work to be checked over when you're out on your own!
2. Students will be provided with comprehensive tool lists and guidelines, in the form of PDF documents. These documents are sent to the students email address after the final class, in order for them to have the best chance of continuing on their own! Madame Mak is happy to answer any questions regarding class material or tools or consumables - reach out any time!
ILLNESS AND ABSENCE
1. Madame Mak kindly asks that you do not attend the jewellery studio in Melbourne if you are unwell with a contagious illness. Please reschedule your class when you are fully recovered. You will not be charged a rescheduling fee for rescheduling your class. Students are not entitled to a refund in the event of recoverable illness.
FEEDBACK AND REVIEWS
1. Madame Mak strives to meet your learning needs and takes pride in sharing her knowledge and love for the craft. If you are at all dissatisfied with your class/es, please kindly reach out to discuss your concerns with Madame Mak.
2. Madame Mak welcomes your reviews. By sending in a review through email or text/Instagram DM, you acknowledge that Madame Mak may post your review online. Madame Mak will not post your name or your instagram handle if you wish and request to remain private!